Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, The Community Broadcasting Association of Australia (CBAA) and the Local & Independent News Association (LINA) have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services team via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services team. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to defamation and competition laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
Three Strikes Policy
The CBAA and LINA respect the community. We understand that people may inadvertently violate the rules, and we will not immediately ban someone from the community following a single violation. Rather, the CBAA and LINA follow a graduated enforcement policy for these guidelines.
- First Violation: A written notice is sent to the individual who violates the guidelines.
- Second Violation: A written notice is sent to the individual who violates the guidelines. The individual’s community account is put into moderation for 30 days so that messages from his/her account are reviewed before they are posted online. The individual has a phone call with the organisation's community manager.
Third Violation: The individual's community access is suspended for six months.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of the CBAA and LINA. The CBAA and LINA are not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the CBAA, LINA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the CBAA or LINA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the CBAA, LINA and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
The CBAA and LINA do not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and do not on their own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of the CBAA or LINA we will take all appropriate action.
The CBAA and LINA reserve the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
The CBAA and LINA may at any time, at their sole discretion, amend, vary or modify these guidelines without notice. Changes to these guidelines will be effective immediately and your continued use of this site will mean you accept the changes and the then-current guidelines for use of this site. The CBAA and LINA may, without notice, terminate or suspend this site or any part of the site at any time.
For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page.